FW#11 Freedom Walkers Summary/Vocab. Directions
FW#11 Summary/Vocabulary Freedom Walkers: Based on what you remember, please write a 1-2 page/at least 2 (indented) paragraph summary of Freedom Walkers. In the summary, please use and underline the following 20 vocabulary words:
1. Supremacy (n) Domination; the condition of having authority.
2. Disqualify (v) To declare ineligible
3. Reverie (n) A daydream; a state of absent-minded musing
4. Concession (n) An admission or allowance; a compromise
5. Mobilize (v) To gather for a purpose; to assemble and put into motion
6. Civic (adj) Having to do with citizenship; community minded
7. Galvanize (v) To inspire people to act for a cause or a purpose.
8. Scrutiny (n) Examination; critical inspection
9. Acquit (v) To clear a person of criminal charges; to declare not guilty
Ex. The judge acquitted the man who had been charged with robbery.
10. Retaliation (n) Harm done to someone else because he or she harmed you; revenge
11. Jubilant (adj.) Overjoyed; exuberant
12. Balk (v) To hesitate; to feel unwilling or unconvinced
13. Potent (adj.) Powerful; mighty; strong
14. Status (n) Rank; position; social standing
15. Bolster (v) To strengthen; reinforce; prop up
16. Sympathizer (n) Someone who supports an opinion, idea, or cause
17. Exploit (v) To use for one’s own gain; to harness
18. Negotiate (v) To converse or debate with the goal of reaching an agreement
Ex. When it came to borrowing his car, my father refused to negotiate.
19. Cajole (v) To persuade by continued coaxing
20. Condemnation (n) A statement of disapproval; criticism